Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon Monoxide can only be an issue in homes that use gas appliances. It’s the “silent killer” because you may not even know you’ve been exposed. It’s odorless and colorless. Knowing the safety precautions and preventions in your Charleston home is crucial.

Blanton and Sons have all the answers you need to be safe from leaks. We’re leading experts in the heating and cooling industry, so rest assured that we can inform you about keeping safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide.

What is CO, and how can I be exposed in my house?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an elementary pair of atoms that are a key ingredient in industrial chemistry. It’s released from a burning source such as the furnace, water heater, fireplace, and car. You’ve likely heard about CO building up in a garage with the car running, and a carbon monoxide leak can result from one of the above appliances not burning fuel completely.


Exposure to carbon dioxide starves your lungs of the oxygen that it needs. If exposed for a longer time to high amounts of CO, the more severe the symptoms can be.  The CDC states that each year, 400 deaths are attributed to carbon monoxide exposure. With that are 20,000 hospitalizations caused by unintentional exposure.

Watch out for these symptoms:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Shortness of breath
  • Vision trouble
  • Loss of consciousness 

Reduce the risk

The best bet is to use appliances as they were intended. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, pick one up at your nearest hardware store. Regular preventative maintenance from experts like ours is essential to keep your systems running efficiently and prevent unwanted gas leaks.